Lenten Devotion for Friday, March 14
By Paul Easterday
Read John 1:29-35
John came to tell others that Jesus was on His way to save them!
We pray: Dear Jesus, help us to always point people back to You and Your love.
Roll out the red carpet! Spend a few minutes treating your kids like kings. Go our of your way to get things for them, ask them how you can make them more comfortable. Get some slippers for their feet, maybe a bath robe as a “royal robe.” If you’re ambitious, make a crown out of construction paper in advance. Spend a few minutes treating your kids like royalty!
When you’re done, ask some questions like:
- How did it feel to be treated like royalty?
- How would it feel if people treated you like this all the time?
- Do you think you would get a lot of attention or people would notice you more?
Reading: Say something like “In our reading today John gives Jesus some special attention. He calls Jesus the Chosen one of God! As we read, look for ways that John points out just how special Jesus is”.
Read: John 1:29-35
- What kinds of special things did John point out about Jesus?
- John says that Jesus is “the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.” Why is that so important? (Jesus came to die on the cross and take away our sins.)
Challenge Say something like, “Jesus’ gift of forgiveness through His death on the cross is so important that John gave his life pointing the way to Jesus. We have the opportunity to do the same!”
- What are some ways that we can point to Jesus? (talk about Him, forgive others when they hurt us, care for others)
- Have you ever had a moment when you saw Jesus working through you?
We pray: Dear Jesus, thank You for dying on the cross for my sins. Please use me to show others Your love and forgiveness. Amen.