Stephen Ministry is a one-on-one care-giving ministry that provides Christ-centered care and support to those experiencing problems, concerns, or struggles.
What Does a Stephen Minister Do?
- Walk alongside someone who is hurting.
- Listen, care, and make no judgments.
- Pray, supports, and encourage.
- Meet faithfully with his or her care receiver for about one hour each week.
- Maintains confidentiality.
When is a Stephen Minister NOT Appropriate?
- When someone needs a professional therapist; Stephen Ministers are not therapists, though they can work with a person who is already seeking this type of help, with the permission of the therapist.
- When you simply need a casual visitor. Stephen Ministers are trained listeners and are available to support people with problems.
- When you want someone to tell you how to solve a problem or situation. Stephen Ministers are care-givers, not cure-givers.
- When you need someone to run errands, provide meals, take you to appointments, etc. Stephen Ministers are to offer support, prayer, hope, and encouragement.
If you, or someone you care about, is interested in finding out more about Stephen Ministry, contact us; one of the Stephen Ministry leaders: