Stephen Ministry is a one-on-one care-giving ministry that provides Christ-centered care and support to those experiencing problems, concerns, or struggles. It provides someone to listen, pray, and offer Christian support and encouragement. People may benefit from a Stephen Minister if they have recently been hospitalized, are grieving the loss of a family member or job, are disabled, in a spiritual crisis, overwhelmed by current situation or need a caring christian friend. This relationship can last from a few weeks to many months.
What Does a Stephen Minister Do?
- Walk along side someone who is hurting.
- Listen, care, and make no judgments.
- Pray, supports, and encourage.
- Meet faithfully with his or her care receiver for about one hour each week.
- Maintains confidentiality.
When is a Stephen Minister NOT Appropriate?
- When someone needs a professional therapist; Stephen Ministers are not therapists, though they can work with a person who is already seeking this type of help, with the permission of the therapist.
- When you simply need a casual visitor. Stephen Ministers are trained listeners and are available to support people with problems.
- When you want someone to tell you how to solve a problem or situation. Stephen Ministers are care-givers, not cure-givers.
- When you need someone to run errands, provide meals, take you to appointments, etc. Stephen Ministers are to offer support, prayer, hope and encouragement.
If you, or someone you care about, is interested in finding out more about Stephen Ministry, contact us; one of the Stephen Ministry leaders: