What would change if you immersed yourself in the words spoken by Jesus for 40 days? How would Jesus shape your life if you began to more intentionally put his words into practice? Beginning January 20, 2019, we at St. Luke will embark on a 40-day journey through the Gospels, hearing and doing the words of Jesus. We hope you’ll come along with us!
Most people at St. Luke know Jesus died on the cross and rose from the dead. Many of us know about some of his miracles and could even retell a few of his parables. We’ve articulated a core value at St. Luke of dependence on Jesus. Our prayers are, more often than not, prayed in Jesus’ name. And we regularly ask the question, “What is Jesus speaking into my life, and what response is he shaping in me?”
So, if Jesus is already such a big deal at St. Luke, why embark on the Red Letter Challenge (RLC)? The answer is rather simple. Jesus invites his disciples to take what he says to heart. At the end of his Sermon on the Mount, Jesus says, “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.” (Mt. 7:24)
Discipleship is a continual process of being shaped into the image of Jesus for the sake of others. Over the 40 days of the Red Letter Challenge, we believe that hearing and putting Jesus’ own words into practice will shape and form our discipleship in five significant areas:
Reading, marking, learning, inwardly taking to heart, and putting Jesus’ own words into practice will, I believe, significantly shape each of us as individuals as we begin 2019. And it will form the next steps of our congregation as we walk forward together.
So, you’re ready to take the Red Letter Challenge with us? Great! Where do you start? We’d suggest these three ways to most fully participate in the RLC:
- Weekly Worship – RLC will be our worship focus for 7 weeks, beginning January 20.
- Daily Word – The interactive RLC workbook will guide you through each day of the challenge. Pick up your RLC book for $10 at the St. Luke Welcome Desk starting Sunday, January 6, 2019. If cost is an issue, grab a book anyway. If you are able to generously give more, please do! Your generosity will allow others to join the Red Letter Challenge who couldn’t otherwise afford to!
- Authentic Relationships – When it comes to discipleship, Jesus intends that no one journeys alone! The RLC is best done in relationship with others. Whether it’s with one other person or in a small group setting, check out the following video and study curriculum. Please consider one or more of the following ways to engage the Red Letter Challenge together in relationship:
- Sunday Discipleship Hour
- Adults – Great Room
- Highschool Youth – Rm. 104-105
- Children’s Sheepfold
- Home Group
- Family – Read the RLC workbook, watch the group videos, and use the group discussion material as a family
- School – Invite friend/classmates to journey through RLC with you
- Work – Talk about RLC with colleagues over lunch or break
- With a Friend – Set a time each week to with someone one-on-one if a group isn’t right for you
- Sunday Discipleship Hour